In order for MUHAS Library to provide an atmosphere for conducive use of its services and facilities, the public is required to comply with the Library rules and regulations listed before. Users in the Library must respect the rights and privileges of all other users. Library users are therefore expected to abide by the following rules and regulations:
- General rules
- Lending rules
- Fines and penalties
1. Idle conversation, loud laughter, and other unnecessary noise disturb Library users and must therefore be avoided. Discussions are strictly forbidden in the Library. Failure to observe silence will result into dismissal from the Library and other disciplinary measures. Users of the Library are requested to observe silence.
2. Eating, smoking and sleeping are not allowed in the Library.
3. Wearing of coats, jackets, caps, hats, slippers, sweaters are not allowed. The Library staff reserve the right to inspect any person who raises suspicion.
4. Library books and other materials are to be handled carefully. Mutilation and damage of library materials by marking, tearing or staining should be avoided.
5. Abusive language or gestures, harassing or threatening behaviour to the library staff and/or users are not acceptable.
6. Smoking, sexual acts, drinking, display or use of weapons is not allowed in the Library.
7. Personal hygiene is highly recommended.
8. Use of mobile phones is strictly forbidden in the Library premises.
9. Theft and mutilation of Library materials is a criminal offence. Anyone caught attempting to steal, stealing or to have stolen library materials will be reported to relevant security (including the police) and College disciplinary organs for further actions that may include prosecution, barred from using the College Library and/or suspension from studies.
10. Use of mobile phones is strictly prohibited in the Library premises. A fine of 5000/- TShs shall be charged upon use of mobile phones at the the library premises.
- A proper Library card must be presented to the counter whenever library material is called for. This card is NOT TRANFERABLE. For any library material drawn upon it, the owner to whom it is made out will be held responsible. If presented by other person, this Library card will be seized and the owner will be fined Tsh. 2000 shillings.
- When returning library material to the counter make sure you get back your borrowing cards. The Library will assume no responsibility for exchange or for loss of your Library cards after you have left the counter.
- Torn, dirty and mutilated borrowerÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s card is not honoured and should be replaced by a new one with a fee of 500 shillings.
- Any lost card is to be reported to the library immediately. Lost cards will be replaced at a cost of 1000 shillings.
- Replacement for lost books shall be the actual price of a particular book plus 50% of the actual price to cover administrative costs.
- Books borrowed from Special Reserve Collection for use within the library must be returned at the issue desk after one hour of use.No reader will be allowed to borrow books from the LibraryÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s collections without proper identification including borrowing cards.
- Theft of Library materials is criminal offence. Anyone caught attempting to steal; stealing or to have stolen Library materials will be reported to relevant security (including the police) and College disciplinary organs for further actions that may include prosecution, suspension from the College and /or barred from using the College Library.
- The Director of Library Services reserves the right of admission.
Fines and penalties
The following fines and penalties shall be imposed on those who will be breaking these rules and regulations.
1. A fine of Tsh. 500 shall be paid for every additional day after the last day of returning a borrowed book to the Library. Failure to return the book after the additional fined 7 days will be considered book theft.
2. The penalty for any act of book theft as defined in this document shall be suspension from using library services for the whole semester. If repeated, the penalty shall be denial to access the Library for 1 academic year. If same or similar mistake is repeated the user shall be denied access to the Library for 5 years. All these will be accompanied by a warning letter copied to the Dean/Director or Head of the Department and /or Registrar and Principal.
3. The penalty for any act of book theft shall be suspension from using library services together with legal measures including being reported to the police. Along these a warning letter copied to the Dean/Director or head of the department will be issued. This letter will also be copied to the Registrar and Principal.
4. Failure to return a special reserve book after one hour will result into a fine of Tsh. 200 for each additional hour. Failure to pay the fine and failure to return the book after 1 additional hour will result to denial to use special reserve services for one week.